Welcome to TomasG's World

Thursday, September 01, 2005

Surviving a Negative Environment (part 2)

If you feel guilty about what has transpired, make amends as best as you can, and if possible turn it around and use it as a stepping-stone to make things better.

What is guilt? Why is it important?  I often felt that guilt was something good. But often guilt is rooted from negative thoughts, negative energy and definitely shouldn’t be there.  Colin Powell, Secretary of State during 1st term of President G.W. Bush once said “None of us can change our yesterdays, but all of us can change our tomorrows.”  I am interpreting this quote that if we make mistakes, how we have lived and all that, it doesn’t matter anymore, what matters is that choices we make today will affect our tomorrow. So choose wisely and things will be better.

Dave Pelzer sums it up with this quote “Learn from your past! Don’t become a prisoner of it!”  He certainly had a lot of reasons to be a prisoner of his past but he decided to step up and away from it and become a person that he is today.  He has done a lot of good things and I am amazed and at awe of him.  I think it is important that you learn from your past but don’t hang it over your head and make yourself guilty every moment. That is what I have done in the past. I do something wrong, then I overeat. Then I realized I overate, I feel guilty for that so then I ate more to erase that guilty feeling that leads me to more guilt. That is a vicious cycle to live with. Learning to let go of the past is hard but it is something that I need to do.

|