Welcome to TomasG's World

Wednesday, April 07, 2004

Well, the final hour of the day has approached, I still haven't decided what I want to write about for today's entry. I did spend a couple of hours in the sun this afternoon and wrote a lengthy entry, but I can't publish that entry until the 12th of this month. I suppose we will have to be patient and wait for that post.

After searching through a few files on my computer, I finally came up with a topic that I want to talk about. AHA! I am going to confess here that I tend to do one thing that irks most people and it irks me too because it drives me crazy when I realized that what is really happening isn't what my mind came up with. Making assumption is a bad trait of mine because it makes an ass out of you and me. How is assumption related to What is Truth? Assumption is the other side of the coin of perception. One side of the coin is verbalizing the "truth" and the other side is creating "truth" in the mind.

Assumption, in my opinion, makes more trouble for me than anything because just give me one word or a phrase and I can go anywhere, I can build an entire story based on that one phrase. It doesn't help me nor allow me to keep peace with what is going on at the moment. For example, I have a friend who loves to chat with me and hug me at a bar. From this action, I assumed that he may have liked me the way I want him to like me so I would do everything I could to spark his romantic interest in me. But what turned out was, he wasn't interested in me romantically. He only wanted to be friends with me because he adores me as a person, not as a boyfriend but as a friend. Of course I felt awful and felt like my romantic heart was torn in two because of that. I believe this whole thing would have been easier if I didn't assumed that he liked me in a romantic way.

don Miguel Ruiz wrote this book, The Four Agreements. I have shared the first two agreements. 1) Be Impeccable with your words, 2) Don't take anything personally. In this post, I would like to introduce the third agreement. Don't make assumptions. Ruiz goes on to explain what he meant by not making assumptions.

Find the courage to ask questions and to express what you really want. Communicate with others as clearly as you can to avoid misunderstandings, sadness, and drama. With just this one agreement, you can completely transform your life.


Letting things be as they are at the moment, I believe would allow us to experience the moment far more appreciatively than if we kept assuming about things and what people say. I hope I do learn to let things be.

|