Welcome to TomasG's World

Thursday, April 13, 2006

My main reason for finding a doctor was to help me with my weight loss. What motivated me to lose weight? Basically when I turned 30, a switch was flipped inside of me that made me decide enough is enough. I am tired of being morbidly obese and all that comes with being that heavy. People rejected me, many thought I was just a desperate horny man and weren't willing to get to know me. But then again, it could be a projection from my own thoughts. I have been heavy for a long time.

Looking back I realized that I have tried dieting because other people expected me to diet and lose weight. When I was at the deaf school, the first time I went on the diet was because I wanted to. They had the system set up for me and I was doing good. However when I slipped and had candy or something. I got punished, and I remember yelling at the houseparent that she shouldn't expect perfection from me because I was only 9 years old. Yeah, my mouth got me in trouble often as well. Then 2 years later, it was required that I go on a diet. It was written in my Individual Educational Plan (IEP) that I will go on a diet. That plan continued for 3 more years (even when I transferred to the local public school system) until this nice guy who was the IEP coordinator at my school told the IEP team that the diet had nothing to do with my education and he took it off of the plan. That was pretty much the last time that I had to deal with weight loss issues until 1997.

In 1997, I went into a very deep depression and I was living with my friend. We barely had food in the house and she kept egging on me about my weight so I decided to get out of the house and walk twice a day plus swim in the middle of the day. I did that for about 8 months and I lost a lot of weight. When I decided to move away. She told me that I will gain back all the weight that I lost. Well I did. In 1999, I met someone that I liked soooooo much that I wanted to date him. However he had just started dating someone else. I was so upset so I decided that maybe if I lost weight, I could win him over. I started walking and using the weight room at the college gym. I lost a lot of weight in short time. Then lot of things happened at home with my dad and I was having a lot of problems with my roommates. Food became my source of comfort again and I gained weight. Then in 2004, I had a total melt day the day after my 29th birthday so I decided to go to the gym and lose weight. Unfortunately the switch wasn't flipped internally so I didn't really lose much. But August 2005, something different happened and 40 lbs lighter and 7 months later, here I am, writing this post.

My doctor and I agreed that losing 5 to 8 lbs a month is a very healthy way to go, it will ensure that I will keep the weight off later on. I am hoping that I can lose about 100 lbs a year. The 100 lbs a year goal is slightly more than 8 lbs a month, but it is still healthy goal. The ultimate goal is go down to below 250 lbs. I don't think I have seen myself below 250 since 9th grade, and that is like 16 years, a little more than 1/2 of my life ago. Enough is Enough, I am losing weight and I intend to keep it off for the rest of my life.

|